Connect & Create with the International Contemporary Skating Community
#ACSFest2021 registration is now available.
About the American Contemporary Skating Festival
Everyone has something to share. Everyone has something to learn. This is the key tenet of AIT’s Mission, Vision & Core Values.
Open to choreographers, coaches, and professional skaters over the age of 17 who are Intermediate Standard Track MIF level or higher, the American Contemporary Skating Festival is a place for those who are passionate about expanding the art form of skating.
Connect with colleagues around the world as you collaborate, create, and learn from each other in an intimate environment through on-and off-ice workshops.
#ACSFest2021 Registration details
- Registration for the #ACSFest2021 is now available!
- Online registration is due by Tuesday, June 1. After June 1st, a late fee of $50 will be added.
- Registration fees:
American Contemporary Skating Festival Schedule & Location
- 2021 Festival Location: Primarily at Warrior Ice Arena in Boston, MA although another location for Thursday night, 6/10 is still TBD
- Warrior Ice Arena is about 15 minutes from downtown Boston.
- Festival Rink Address: 90 Guest St, Boston, MA 02135
- Street parking is very limited, but there is a parking garage directly below the rink.
- The Festival schedule in June 2021:
- Thursday, June 10: 6 pm – 9 pm
- Friday, June 11: 6 pm – 10 pm
- Saturday, June 12: 9 am – 6 pm
- Sunday, June 13: 9 am – 5 pm (Festival Showcase from 6-8 pm)
- Please note: if you do not want to participate in one of the ensembles for the Weekend Choreography Workshop, your schedule will be shorter. Some of the hours listed above include the Weekend Choreography Workshop ensemble rehearsal times.
The American Contemporary Skating Festival provides a platform for choreographers and skating artists to share their own contemporary and artistic figure skating philosophies and explore improvisation and dance on ice together. The schedule features a combination of on- and off-ice presentations on a variety of topics like:
- contemporary and artistic skating philosophies,
- full body movement,
- conceptual art and skating,
- mindfulness practices,
- movement with partners, and
- improvisation techniques.
Weekend Choreography Workshop & Festival Showcase
There will also be a Weekend Choreography Workshop, culminating in a Festival Showcase on Sunday evening where presenters can share new insights gained over the seminar through performance, display works in progress or fully formed pieces, and give an opportunity to the public to witness a new style of skating. At the Weekend Choreography Workshop, you will learn ensemble choreography over the course of the weekend which you may optionally perform at the Showcase.
Festival attendees will have the opportunity to perform their own prepared choreography at the Festival Showcase through a solo, duet, trio or ensemble piece. All performers will receive a spot on a first-come, first-served basis. If you’re interested in performing a solo at this year’s Festival Showcase, please reach out directly to Kate McSwain at firstname.lastname@example.org. All solo pieces must be 3 minutes or less and ensemble pieces must be 5 minutes or less.
Calling All Choreographers: Showcase Opportunity
The current Young Artists Showcase winner will be one of the 5 featured choreographers at the Festival’s Weekend Choreography Workshop. To apply to be one of the other 4 featured choreographers, submit a video of your past choreography work to email@example.com by May 15.
As part of the American Contemporary Skating Festival, 5 choreographers will be selected to create and lead ensemble pieces for the Weekend Choreography Workshop, performed at the Festival Showcase on Sunday night. Festival attendees will have the opportunity to skate in your ensembles if desired.