Connect & Create with the International Contemporary Skating Community
Thursday-Sunday, June 6-9 | Boston, MA
For Intermediate-level+, ages 17 & up.
Everybody has something to share. Everybody has something to learn. This is a key tenet of AIT’s Mission, Vision & Core Values.
Open to choreographers, coaches, and professional skaters over the age of 17 who are Intermediate-level or higher, the American Contemporary Skating Festival is a place for those who are passionate about expanding the art form of skating.
Connect with colleagues around the world as you collaborate, create, and learn from each other in an intimate environment through on-and off-ice workshops.
- 2019 Festival Dates: Thursday-Sunday, June 6-9
- 2019 Festival Location: Somerville, Massachusetts, just outside Boston.
Festival Dates & Location
- Thursday-Sunday, June 6-9, 2019
- Veterans Memorial Ice Rink in Somerville, MA, about 25 minutes outside Boston.
- Festival Rink Address: 570 Somerville Ave, Somerville, MA 02143
Festival Schedule & Topics
The American Contemporary Skating Festival provides a platform for choreographers and skating artists to share their own contemporary and artistic figure skating philosophies and explore improvisation and dance on ice together. The schedule features a combination of on- and off-ice presentations on a variety of topics like:
- contemporary and artistic skating philosophies,
- full body movement,
- conceptual art and skating,
- mindfulness practices,
- movement with partners, and
- improvisation techniques.
The Festival schedule will be:
- Thursday, June 6: 6 pm – 9 pm
- Friday, June 7: 6 pm – 9 pm
- Saturday, June 8: 9 am – 5 pm
- Sunday, June 9: 9 am – 7 pm (Festival Showcase from 5-7 pm)
Weekend Choreography Workshop & Festival Showcase
There will also be a Weekend Choreography Workshop, culminating in a Festival Showcase on Sunday evening where presenters can share new insights gained over the seminar through performance, display works in progress or fully formed pieces, and give an opportunity to the public to witness a new style of skating. At the Weekend Choreography Workshop, you will learn ensemble choreography over the course of the weekend which you may optionally perform at the Showcase.
Festival attendees will have the opportunity to perform their own prepared choreography at the Festival Showcase through a solo, duet, trio or ensemble piece. All performers will receive a spot on a first-come, first-served basis. All solo pieces must be 3 minutes or less and ensemble pieces must be 5 minutes or less.
Calling All Choreographers: Showcase Opportunity
As part of the American Contemporary Skating Festival, 5 choreographers will be selected to create and lead ensemble pieces for the Weekend Choreography Workshop, performed at the Festival Showcase on Sunday night. Festival attendees will have the opportunity to skate in your ensembles if desired.
To apply to be one of the 5 featured choreographers at the Festival’s Weekend Choreography Workshop, submit a video of your past choreography work to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1. [UPDATE: We are no longer accepting videos for this.]
You have your choice of attending:
- All 4 days (Thurs – Sun, 6/6 – 6/9): $130
- Just 2 days (Sat 6/8 and Sun 6/9 only): $95
- Just 1 day (Sat or Sun only): $75
- Registration Deadline: Friday, May 31st
Reserve your spot at the American Contemporary Skating Festival now! See you there.