Master Choreography Techniques (MCT) for Figure Skating choreographers
Master Choreography Techniques (MCT) is an advanced online certification and training program for both seasoned skating coaches and those looking to specialize in a career as an ice choreographer. Whatever type of skating program you are developing — whether highly competitive, Theatre On Ice, artistic showcase, or professional — MCT educates you in the vocabulary of dance and helps you develop the art of the sport as you work with skaters.
The MCT course curriculum was developed by AIT Founder Jodi Porter. Concepts taught include:
- the use of time, space, energy, and form in choreography;
- modern dance techniques on the ice like:
- 3-dimensional movement,
- the use of weight,
- contraction and release,
- contrast, and
- moving the body in different ways through space.
All graduates of Master Choreography Techniques will receive a certificate of completion for level 1, and can thereafter identify themselves as ‘AIT-Certified Choreographers.‘
The MCT course is a pre-requisite for instructors who are interested in running AIT workshops, classes, or camps.
MCT Course Details
MCT is ideal for any coach or choreographer anywhere in the world because of its self-paced, flexible schedule. This class is interactive via Zoom but also offers choreographers the opportunity to move their bodies and create choreography on the ice (or off the ice if necessary) with the monthly projects. The course is a combination of online work done on your own time, and live meetings via teleconference. It’s structured like an upper level college course, incorporating:
- reading assignments,
- monthly choreography projects,
- working through body movement on yourself and/or students, and
- critiques, plus
- class discussion.
Guided monthly discussions with your classmates are led by AIT Co-Executive Directors Garrett Kling and Kate McSwain, both AIT-Certified and PSA Master-Rated choreographers. Both were trained and mentored by AIT Founder Jodi Porter.
To maximize learning and to facilitate lively but intimate conversations and dialogue, classes are limited to 7 students per session, so register early to secure your spot!
Course Frequency and Duration
One MCT session is offered each semester. The fall session runs from September until January, and the spring session runs from February to June. Online group Zoom meetings are typically held on the last Sunday OR Tuesday of each month during the semester from 9:15 PM – 11:30M Eastern Time – although this schedule can vary. The class meets once a month to observe and discuss the concepts learned magyargenerikus.com. The class meets once a month to observe and discuss the concepts learned from review, readings, and study on your time.
It takes about 12 hours per month on average to complete all required assignments. Each month include required readings of 2-3 chapters, homework responses to videos and the readings, lecture videos on the monthly topic, and a monthly choreography project due in addition to our 2-hour Zoom meeting where we review the month’s learnings.
Register Now for Master Choreography Techniques
- Next session: the Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters are both FULL as of now. As of now, we are taking registrations for Fall 2023 as well as creating a waitlist for Spring 2023, so please fill out our interest form and we will be in touch with you;
- For an example of the typical MCT virtual meeting schedule, see the AIT Calendar for our exact monthly dates for the current semester.
- Registration: $500
- Payment plans available: With an initial deposit of $50, there is an option to join our payment plan of $100/month for the remaining 5 months of the semester via PayPal or pay the full remaining balance of $450 as a one-time payment before the start of the class. For more information on our payment plans, please reach out directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember, only 7 students will be admitted each class, and slots fill up fast! Secure your spot now by completing our AIT Educational Courses – Interest Form, which is accepted year-round (see below).
Additionally, in order to guarantee your spot for the next available semester, please make a $50 deposit below (click the link, scroll down the page, and then use the “donate now” button) and you will be automatically registered for our next semester with open space. If you want a detailed receipt, please let us know via email at email@example.com and we can send one to you