Artistic Skating & Mindfulness Retreat for Skaters Ages 18+
Thursday through Sunday | September 24-26, 2021 | Chaparral Ice | Austin, TX
2021 Adult Weekend Skateaway registration is now available.
Update on COVID Policies: as the Delta variant continues to spread, we will require ALL skaters to wear masks during this event regardless of vaccination status per the CDC’s guidelines. We strongly recommend participants get vaccinated; we are closely monitoring the situation, but we do not plan to cancel this event.
For all levels and ages 18 & higher.
A retreat-style weekend skating getaway for adult skaters to connect, create, and collaborate. This fall skating weekend retreat with American Ice Theatre will give adult skaters the space away to take ownership of their innate creativity by being open to, and accepting of, their whole selves. In line with AIT’s Core Values, the Skateaway offers a getaway for skaters to view themselves as authentic and integral contributors of the artistic skating community.
- Regular registration ends at 11:59 PM on Tuesday, August 31.
- Late registration will start on Wednesday, Sept 1 for an additional $65 late fee.
- See the tentative schedule for the 2021 Weekend Skateaway & additional details on travel & accommodations listed on the webpage below.
- Private lessons with the choreographers and professionals will also be available over the course of the weekend. We are gauging interest on the Registration Form below – please let us know your private lesson preferences when you complete your registration.
2021 Adult SKATEAWAY Live Event REGISTRATION FEES
- For Skateaway adult participants:
- 3-Day Early Bird Registration: $245
- 3-Day Regular Registration: $295
- 2-Day Registration (for Saturday AND Sunday only): $255
- 1-Day Registration (for Saturday OR Sunday only): $130
- MCT Graduate Discount for the all 3 days: $200
These fees include all on-ice and off-ice sessions only. The Friday Happy Hour refreshments and Sunday “Wine & Soda Tasting” are sold separately for $25; Skateaway T-Shirts are sold separately for $20; the community dinner on Saturday night is sold separately and will have a separate sign-up form closer to the event.
Private Lessons – Optional
Private lessons will be available.
- Are you interested in any private lessons with AIT faculty over the weekend?
- All private lessons will be scheduled in 30 min increments and cost $60 for 30 min.
- Freestyle sessions for the lessons must be purchased separately with the ice rink.
- We are gauging interest in the Registration Form, and will email you directly with payment/scheduling options by late August. You are not committing to private lessons when you register for this event on the Registration form.
Due to Covid, we are giving FULL REFUNDS (minus the $17.50 service fee) ONLY if you are sick or not feeling well, please do not join us if you are not feeling well.
If you are injured, please have a doctor’s note for a full refund minus the $17.50 service fee.
If you are not comfortable coming to this event due to covid, we can offer you a 50% (minus the $17.50 service fee) refund before Sunday, September 12. After this date, we can no longer offer refunds.
2021 SKATEAWAY SCHEDULE & TOPICS
The Adult Weekend Skateaway provides a unique opportunity for adult figure skaters to come together for a weekend of artistic skating, self-reflection, body movement. In addition, participants will enjoy a wine tasting, a community dinner, and a performance showcase. The schedule features a combination of on- and off-ice presentations on a variety of topics like:
- yoga on and off the ice,
- full body movement,
- self-discovery & awareness,
- mindfulness practices,
- contemporary dance,
- choreography concepts, and
- improvisation techniques.
The LIVE Skateaway Schedule for 2021 in Austin, TX:
*All times are in the Central Time Zone. This is a tentative schedule for the LIVE event in 2021.
- Check-in & happy hour/refreshments: 5 – 6 pm
- Off-ice contemporary/modern dance: 6 – 7:30 pm
- Break: 7:30 – 8 pm
- On-ice exploration with Garrett Kling & Kate McSwain: 8:00 – 10:00 pm
- Coffee time: 9:00 – 9:15 am
- Specialty Workshop on the Enneagram & Self-Awareness: 9:15-11:15 am
- Lunch: 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Edge class & Six Ways of the Spine: 1:00 – 2:00 pm
- Improvisation / movement on-ice: 2:10 – 3:10 pm
- Break: 3:10 – 3:30 pm
- Choreography & body awareness/core strength on ice: 3:30 – 4:30 pm
- Community dinner in downtown Austin to follow (this dinner is NOT included in the registration price)
- On-ice breath & body warmup with Elin Schran – Ice Flow: 10:00 – 11:00 am
- Contemporary skating moves: 11:15 am – 12:00 pm
- Lunch break: 12:00 – 1:15 pm
- Improvisation & choreographic tools: 1:15 – 2:15 pm
- Skateaway Jam Session: 2:30 – 3:00 pm
- Break: 3:00 – 3:30 pm
- Yoga Breath, sharing & mindfulness closing off-ice // Wine & Soda Tasting off-ice: 3:30 – 5:00 pm
TRAVEL & ACCOMMODATIONS FOR SKATEAWAY
TRAVEL TO SKATEAWAY 2021
Nearby airports serving the area include:
- Austin–Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) – 25 minutes
The 2021 Adult Weekend Skateaway will be held at the in Austin, TX.
- Skateaway Rink Address: Chaparral Ice Rink – Northcross, 2525 W Anderson Ln, Austin, TX 78757
Hotel & Room Block for Skateaway Participants
Need accommodations for Skateaway? We have a block of rooms reserved at the Doubletree Hotel 10 min from the rink; discount link coming soon.
- Book your room now for the discounted Skateaway rate.
- Make your room reservations in the hotel block by Wednesday, September 3.
- Plan for the special group rate for at the Doubletree for $129/night.
- Book your room from Friday, September 24 through Monday, September 27.
- In accordance with the CDC guidelines, face masks must be worn for all non-vaccinated persons.
- Every skater must bring their own yoga mat and water bottle daily.