Artistic Skating & Mindfulness Retreat for Skaters Ages 18+
Friday through Sunday | September 23-25, 2022 | Chaparral Ice | Austin, TX
2022 Adult Weekend Skateaway Early Bird Registration is now open through Monday, August 1. Register below!
For all levels and ages 18 & higher.
A retreat-style weekend skating getaway for adult skaters to connect, create, and collaborate. This fall skating weekend retreat with American Ice Theatre will give adult skaters the space away to take ownership of their innate creativity by being open to, and accepting of, their whole selves. In line with AIT’s Core Values, the Skateaway offers a getaway for skaters to view themselves as authentic and integral contributors of the artistic skating community.
2022 Adult SKATEAWAY Live Event REGISTRATION FEES
- For Skateaway adult participants:
- 3-Day Early Bird Registration: $250
- 3-Day Regular Registration: $300
- 2-Day Registration (for Saturday AND Sunday only): $260
- 1-Day Registration (for Saturday OR Sunday only): $140
- MCT Graduate Discount for the all 3 days: $200
These fees include all on-ice and off-ice sessions only. The Friday Happy Hour refreshments and Sunday “Wine & Soda Tasting” are sold separately for $25; Skateaway T-Shirts are sold separately for $25; the community dinner on Saturday night is sold separately and will have a sign-up form closer to the event.
Private Lessons – Optional
Private lessons will be available.
- Are you interested in any private lessons with AIT faculty over the weekend?
- All private lessons will be scheduled in 30 min increments and cost $60 for 30 min.
- Freestyle sessions for the lessons must be purchased separately with the ice rink.
- We are gauging interest in the Registration Form, and will email you directly with payment/scheduling options by late August. You are not committing to private lessons when you register for this event on the Registration form
2022 SKATEAWAY SCHEDULE & TOPICS
The Adult Weekend Skateaway provides a unique opportunity for adult figure skaters to come together for a weekend of artistic skating, self-reflection, body movement. In addition, participants will enjoy a wine tasting, a community dinner, and a performance showcase. The schedule features a combination of on- and off-ice presentations on a variety of topics like:
- yoga on and off the ice,
- full body movement,
- self-discovery & awareness,
- mindfulness practices,
- contemporary dance,
- choreography concepts, and
- improvisation techniques.
The LIVE Skateaway Schedule for 2022 in Austin, TX:
*All times are in the Central Time Zone.
- Check-in & happy hour/refreshments: 5 – 6 pm
- Off-ice contemporary/modern dance: 6 – 7:30 pm
- Break: 7:30 – 8 pm
- On-ice exploration with Garrett Kling & Kate McSwain: 8:00 – 10:00 pm
- Coffee time: 9:15 – 9:45 am
- Movement Workshop off the ice: 9:45-11:45 am
- Lunch: 12:00 – 1:30 pm
- Edge class & 6 Ways of the Spine: 1:45 – 2:45 pm
- Break: 2:45-3:00 pm
- Improvisation / choreographic tools on-ice: 3:00 – 4:00 pm
- Break: 4:00 – 4:15 pm
- Choreography combo on ice: 4:15 – 5:30 pm
- Community dinner in downtown Austin to follow (this dinner is NOT included in the registration price)
- On-ice breath & body warmup with Elin Schran on ice – Ice Flow: 12:00 – 1:00 pm
- Contemporary skating moves on ice: 1:00 – 1:45 pm
- Break: 1:45 – 2:00 pm
- SKATEAWAY JAM: 2:00 – 3:00 pm
- Break: 3:00 – 3:30 pm
- Yoga Breath, sharing & mindfulness closing off-ice: 3:45 – 4:45
- Wine & Soda Tasting off-ice: 5:00 – 6:00 pm
TRAVEL & ACCOMMODATIONS FOR SKATEAWAY
TRAVEL TO SKATEAWAY 2022
Nearby airports serving the area include:
- Austin–Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) – 25 minutes
The 2022 Adult Weekend Skateaway will be held at the in Austin, TX.
- Skateaway Rink Address: Chaparral Ice Rink – Northcross, 2525 W Anderson Ln, Austin, TX 78757