summer artistic & contemporary figure skating training camp
RecPlex Ice Arena | Pleasant Prairie, WIsconsin
Core Body. Core Self. Core Choreo.
CORE Camp 2021 was a huge success; thank you all for joining us this year. We look forward to seeing you next year!
This summer artistic figure skating training camp from American Ice Theatre will help skaters develop the “Mind-Body-Movement Connection” in keeping with AIT’s values, with off-ice classes and instruction from a faculty of nationally- and internationally-recognized coaches and choreographers. All skaters at the live, in-person CORE Camp, as well as Virtual CORE Campers, will have the opportunity to work with every faculty instructor over the course of the 3 days. For 2021, we are offering hybrid live AND virtual experiences for CORE Camp.
CORE Camp is an intensive summer artistic training camp for figure skaters in all disciplines, ages 7 and up and levels Freeskate 1+. This summer 2021 ice skating training camp will help your skater further develop the mind-body-movement connection.
A new addition this year for young skaters who are particularly interested in choreography and contemporary skating development is our “CORE Camp Cool Down” on Sunday, July 18th from 8 AM – Noon for skaters ages 13+ and Intermediate MIF+ only. This will be a special day of additional mentorship for the older CORE Campers!
Please read our CORE Camp 2021 announcement or scroll down on this page for all details and logistics regarding camp this year.
Coaches Info & Registration
Coaches Registration is now open & available for CORE Camp 2021. Coaches with 4 or more skaters registered for in-person CORE Camp can choose to attend or observe all CORE Camp classes for free; OR if the coach has 1 skater attending either the virtual or in-person experience of CORE Camp 2021, they can attend the virtual experience for free. If the coach does not have any skaters attending – or fewer than 4 for in-person – it is a $40 per day fee to participate.
Schedule at a Glance
We are working with our CORE Camp national and international faculty to confirm the exact class schedule, but here is a sample schedule below. All classes will be divided by age groups and skating level. Each day, we will have small group discussion & artistic expression led by our engaging CORE Camp Counselors. We will provide a space for allowing participants each day to share and connect with their peers in a after their daily classes of body awareness, strength & flexibility, and movement expression!
The daily camp schedule runs approximately from 8AM– 4:30PM every day, with an option to extend your day by adding private on- or off-ice instruction with our nationally- and internationally-recognized coaches and choreographers. Campers will be separated into 4 groups based on skating level and age and each group will have a CORE Camp Counselor assigned to help skaters stay on schedule.
**All groups will have a limited capacity due to Covid so please register early!
Sample CORE Camp In-Person Group Schedule
*Please Note: this is a SAMPLE SCHEDULE only. All group schedules will be slightly different each day depending on the rooms/spaces we can use as well as leaving additional time for cleaning in between classes.
- 8:30 – 9:15: On-Ice Skating Skills / Core Body Movement
- 9:45 – 10:30: Off-Ice Yoga / Mindfulness
- 11:00 – 12:00: Lunch Break
- 12:30 – 1:15: On-Ice Tricks / Improvisation / Choreography
- 1:45 – 2:30: Modern / Contemporary / Hip Hop
- 2:45 – 3:30: Off-Ice Choreography / Improvisation / Performance Expression
- 3:45 – 4:30: Group Time for Reflection & Exploration
The final full day of CORE Camp, will feature our CORE Camp Showcase from 2:15-4:30 PM (exact times will depend on the skater’s group) for skaters to perform a final artistic ensemble to demonstrate the concepts learned. The CORE Camp Showcase also offers a platform for emerging choreographers to display their work. Select skaters may be invited to perform in an additional number choreographed by these young choreographers. Guest artists will be announced closer to the camp date!
Add-ON “CORE CAMP COOL DOWN” – Optional
This option is available only to skaters ages 13+ and levels Intermediate MIF+
- We will continue additional mindfulness and movement techniques as a final morning for the CORE Campers to connect their minds and bodies, move through their improvisation, and skate deeper intention.
- This added “CORE Camp Cool Down” event will be on Sunday, July 18th from 8 AM – Noon.
- This morning will be an incredible space for this group to bond with each other emotionally as well as experience the ice together in a more intentional and open way.
- These additional classes will offer young skaters the opportunity to have more direct and personal artistic mentorship training with some of American Ice Theatre’s faculty, counselors, and choreographers.
- These “Cool Down” Campers will have the opportunity to express themselves in a profound way through specialized and more individualized movement sessions.
Private Lessons at In-Person CORE Camp – Optional
During online camp registration, you may advance purchase two 30-minute private lessons for $120 under “Practice Ice” on the EntryEeze registration form. Instructor requests will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. Requests for the type of private lesson (i.e. skating skills, choreography, MIF, off-ice yoga, etc.) are available during registration as well. Additional private lessons may be available for purchase at $120/hour after May 1st. Private lessons not purchased in advance and requested during the live event will only be scheduled only as available and will cost $150/hr.
CORE Camp Faculty
Directed by PSA Master-Rated and AIT-Certified choreographers, CORE Camp also features top-notch faculty, including nationally- and internationally-recognized coaches and choreographers.
CORE Camp 2021’s faculty list included:
- Garrett Kling: Improvisation Techniques Instructor. AIT Co-Executive Director / PSA Master-Rated & AIT-Certified Choreographer
- Kate McSwain: Improvisation Techniques Instructor. AIT Co-Executive Director / PSA Master-Rated & AIT-Certified Choreographer
- Molly Olson Poniatowski: Storytelling & Theatrics in Movement Instructor. AIT-Certified Choreographer / Director of AIT Chicago
- John Mucko: Storytelling & Theatrics in Movement Instructor. Master-Rated Choreographer / Director of AIT Grassroots Development
- Angela Como: Ballet for Figure Skaters Instructor. Certified Instructor of Ballet for Figure Skaters/Authentic Vaganova Methodology for classical ballet.
- Salise Marin: Hip Hop / Commercial Dance Instructor from New York City.
- Ashley Wyatt: Mindfulness & Yoga instructor trained in the Chakras & Movement as Medicine.
- Lauren J. Williams: Yoga Instructor. Certified Yoga Guide, Writer, and Figure Skater.
Want to be part of the CORE Camp contemporary skating community and learn from world-renowned choreographers, dancers, and coaches? Join us!
CORe Camp Fees
- For in-person, live CORE Camp skaters:
- Early-bird registration: $325 by midnight ET on Wednesday, March 31, 2021.
- Regular registration: $400 by midnight ET Saturday, May 1, 2021.
- Late registration: $475 until Thursday, July 1, 2021 (or until we are at full capacity).
- For coaches and choreographers:
- Discounted tuition of $40/day for coaches and choreographers.
- Free tuition for coaches who bring 4 or more skaters to the in-person camp
- Can’t attend the full 3-day, in-person camp and want to drop-in for 1 day?
- Daily rate is $175/day.
Please Note: registration fees cover class tuition only and do not include room and board or private instruction. Options are available on EntryEeze to add lunch for a small additional fee of $10 per day.
Travel & Accommodations
Nearby airports serving the area include:
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD) – 45 minutes
- Milwaukee (MKE) – 35 minutes
- Chicago Midway (MDW) – 90 minutes
Camp is held at the RecPlex Ice Arena in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin.
- Camp Rink Address: 9900 Terwall Terrace, Pleasant Prairie WI, 53158
- Camp Rink Phone: 262-925-6754 (Office) | 262-925-6755 (Front Desk)
Hotel & Room Block for Campers
Need accommodations for camp? We have a block of rooms reserved at the Fairfield Inn – Kenosha, which is just a 5-minute drive to the rink.
- Book your room now for CORE Camp 2021. You MUST book with the group rate before June 14.
- The special group rate for CORE Camp event at the Fairfield Inn is $129/night.
- The group rate is open from Wednesday, July 14 – Sunday, July 18.
- The group rate dates available for booking will expire after Monday, June 14.
- Breakfast between 6:30-9:30 AM daily IS included in this room rate.
Total & complete refunds will be given out for any skater who is sick. We do not want ANYONE coming to CORE Camp if they feel ill, even if it is during the Camp itself. If the skater has attended 1 or more days of CORE Camp and cannot return due to illness, the refund will be pro-rated for the days they did participate.