CORE Camp 2020
Intensive Summer Camp for Figure Skaters
Thursday-Sunday, July 23-26, 2020 | Greater Chicago area
For levels Freeskate 1 & above and ages 6 & higher.
Core Body. Core Self. Core Choreo. This summer artistic figure skating training camp from American Ice Theatre will help skaters develop the “Mind-Body-Movement Connection” with on- and off-ice classes and instruction from a faculty of nationally- and internationally-recognized coaches and choreographers.
- 2020 Camp Dates: Thursday-Saturday, July 23-25, 2020 with specialty add-on half-day, “CORE Camp Cool Down,” on Sunday, July 26 from 8 AM – 12 PM only for skaters 12+ and Intermediate+
- 2020 Camp Location: Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, about 45 minutes north of Chicago.
Camper Registration is now open and available. Deadline is Friday, May 1, 2020.
Coaches Registration (12 PSA credits available for coaches!) will be available soon.
CORE Camp Faculty
Directed by PSA Master-Rated and AIT-Certified choreographers, CORE Camp also features top-notch faculty, including nationally- and internationally-recognized coaches and choreographers. CORE Camp 2019’s faculty list included:
- Garrett Kling, AIT Co-Executive Director / PSA Master-Rated & AIT-Certified Choreographer
- Kate McSwain, AIT Co-Executive Director / PSA Master-Rated & AIT-Certified Choreographer
- Sean Marshinski, National-Level Technical & Skating Skills Coach
- Molly Olson Poniatowski, AIT-Certified Choreographer
- Carey Tinkelenberg, National-level Master-Rated Coach
- Angela Como, Certified Instructor of Ballet for Figure Skaters/Authentic Vaganova Methodology for classical ballet
- Cordero Zuckerman, International-level Choreographer & Performer
CORE Camp Curriculum & Schedule
The daily camp schedule runs from 8 am – 4 pm each day, with an option to extend your day by adding private on- or off-ice instruction with our nationally- and internationally-recognized coaches and choreographers.
Campers will be separated into 3 groups based on skating level and age. Each group will rotate through on- and off-ice classes including:
- on-ice classes to develop skating skills, including stroking, power, turns and edges, footwork, contemporary skating tools, improvisation techniques, and choreography; plus
- off-ice classes including hip hop, modern dance, ballet, yoga, mindfulness, and breath work.
CORE Camp “Cool Down” Add-On Half-Day Option for Sunday, July 26 from 8 AM – 12 PM
- This add-on option is only available to skaters ages 12+ and levels Intermediate and above.
- We will continue additional mindfulness and movement techniques as a final morning for the CORE Campers to connect their minds and bodies, move through their improvisation, and skate deeper intention.
- These “Cool Down” Campers will have the opportunity to express themselves in a profound way through specialized choreography and movement sessions.
All camp curriculum is taught in keeping with AIT’s Mission, Vision & Core Values.
The final day of CORE camp (Saturday afternoon) will feature a skating showcase from 3:30-4:00 pm for skaters to perform a final artistic ensemble to demonstrate the concepts learned.
The showcase also offers a platform for emerging choreographers to display their work. The Quest for Creativity winner each year will be named the “Emerging Choreographer” at CORE Camp and they will have the opportunity to choreograph an ensemble piece on select CORE Camp skaters over the course of the 3 days at Camp. This piece will be performed on the final day in the Camp Showcase.
CORE Camp Tuition & Fees
Full Camp Tuition & Daily Rate
The fees for this summer 2019 artistic figure skating training camp:
- For camp skaters:
- Early bird registration: $300 by Tuesday, March 31.
- Regular registration: $350 by Friday, May 1.
- Late registration: $450 until July 1 or until all spots are filled.
- Can’t attend the full camp? The CORE Camp daily rate is $175/day.
- For coaches and choreographers:
- Discounted tuition rate: $25/day for coaches and choreographers.
- Free tuition for coaches who bring 4 or more skaters!
Tuition fees cover on- and off-ice class tuition only. Room and board are not included. During registration, you may opt to add lunch at the rink each day for a small additional fee, and/or to sign up for private instruction.
No registration fee or private lesson refunds for any reason except a doctor’s note for injury or illness BEFORE Wednesday, July 1, 2020.
Optional Private Lessons at CORE Camp
During online camp registration, under “Practice Ice,” you may advance purchase two 30-minute private lessons for just $120. Note that:
- Requests for the type of private lesson (i.e. skating skills, choreography, Moves In the Field, off-ice yoga, etc.) are available during registration.
- Instructor requests are honored on a first-come, first-served basis.
- After May 1, additional private lessons may be available for purchase at $120/hour.
- Private lessons requested at the event (not purchased in advance) will only be scheduled as available, at $150/hr.
Do your online CORE camp registration and private lessons request(s) now:
Travel & Accommodations for CORE Camp
Travel to CORE Camp
Nearby airports serving the area include:
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD) – 45 minutes
- Milwaukee (MKE) – 35 minutes
- Chicago Midway (MDW) – 90 minutes
Camp is held at the RecPlex Ice Arena in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin.
- Camp Rink Address: 9900 Terwall Terrace, Pleasant Prairie WI, 53158
- Camp Rink Phone: 262-925-6754 (Office) | 262-925-6755 (Front Desk)
Hotel & Room Block for Campers
Need accommodations for camp? We have a block of rooms reserved at the Doubletree by Hilton Pleasant Prairie Kenosha, which is just a 5-minute drive to the rink.
- The special group rate for CORE Camp is $149/night.
- The group rate dates available for booking are from Wednesday, July 22 through Sunday, July 26.
Register Now for CORE Camp 2020
Secure your spot at CORE Camp today! Use the EntryEeze website to complete your online registration.
Coaches: Register Now (12 PSA credits available for coaches in attendance!)