What We Do
American Ice Theatre (AIT) is working to advance contemporary and artistic skating through performance, education, and outreach. We do this through our:
- online education courses, including
- national seminars,
- annual and seasonal performances,
- the American Contemporary Skating Festival, and
- CORE Camp, an artistic figure skating mini summer camp.
AIT is becoming recognized as a global leader in artistic and contemporary skating as we spread our philosophy of inclusion, acceptance, innovation, and authenticity.
Our mantra is: “Everyone has something to share. Everyone has something to learn.” Learn more about AIT’s Mission & Core Values.
History & Locations
AIT was founded in 2003 in the San Francisco Bay area by Jodi Porter to grow the art of figure skating through performance, education, and mentoring opportunities. Since then, it has grown significantly, with AIT satellite locations in Boston, Chicago, New York, Minneapolis, and Utah.
Each AIT satellite is a “dance on ice” company, with a group of ice dance artists in an ensemble who perform locally. The national and satellite AIT locations strive to work together to create performances and educational opportunities to foster artistic and contemporary skating around the world.
AIT Leadership Team
Founder Jodi Porter began a 5-year sabbatical in December 2018, and appointed a new leadership team to manage all operations of the company in her absence:
- Garrett Kling and Kate McSwain: Co-Acting Executive Directors and CEOs;
- Chiquita Limer, Director of AIT New York: Vice President of Business Operations;
- Stephanie Chace Bass, Co-Director of AIT Utah: Marketing/PR Director;
- Rachel Peterson, Co-Director of AIT Utah: Business Development Director; and
- Annette Thomas, Founder & Director of “Ballet for Figure Skaters:” Education Chair.